Players are a paranoid bunch. In a dungeon or other hostile environment they often search everything in case some lurking danger might take them unawares. Even worse, than lurking danger the thought of hidden loot unfound can cause many an adventurer a sleepless night.
Use the table below, when a PC makes a Perception check and finds nothing.
- You listen intently for the least sound, but suddenly one of your companions coughs loudly and ruins your concentration.
- Although you detect no obvious dangers in the immediate area a prickly feeling between your shoulder blades just won’t go away…
- A sudden breath of wind sighs through the area—it almost sounds like the dungeon itself is breathing…
- Marks in the dust are suggestive of something disturbing it, but you don’t know what did the disturbing.
- Spider webs cluster thickly in one corner. As you watch, the whole mass seems to pulsate and move as if disturbed by air moving through some hidden niche or crack.
- As you observe the area, a cold shiver briefly grips your body. As quickly as it comes it goes—what caused it is impossible to say with any certainty.
- Sweat drips down your forehead and into your eyes, momentarily blurring your vision. No matter, there is nothing to see here…
- Your footsteps echo strangely in this place—as if the area was larger than it first appears.
- You don’t hear anything out of the ordinary except for a faint sound of ringing in your ears. You wait a few moments, but it doesn’t go away.
- The area seems safe, but—bizarrely—your nose starts to tingle and you have the overwhelming urge to scratch it.
- 10 Things to Say When a PC Makes a Perception Check and Finds Nothing
- 10 Things to Say When a PC Spectacularly Failed to Pick a Pocket
- 20 Things to Say When a PC Looks for a Trap and Finds Nothing
GM’s Miscellany: Dungeon Dressing
If you enjoyed the table above and like dungeon dressing, check out GM’s Miscellany: Dungeon Dressing—Endzeitgeist’s choice as the number one book of 2014! Crammed with over 300 pages of information and charts designed to bring your dungeon alive, GM’s Miscellany: Dungeon Dressing is an essential part of any GM’s arsenal.