Dungeons often have loads of locked things–doors, trapdoors and even the much hoped for treasure chests! And–of course–every lock needs a key!
However, few dungeons seem to have enough keys and even fewer dungeons have interesting or detailed keys. Normally they are listed as “a bunch of keys” or ” key to the treasure chest in area 6.” That’s a shame as keys can be both interesting and can even serve as treasure themselves!
Use the table below, to generate the details of atypical or noteworthy keys found in the dungeon.
- This tiny key is made of worn brass. It hangs upon a similarly worn neck chain. Several faint runes decorate the key’s bow but they are now (sadly) unreadable.
- This two-inch long iron key slips into a hidden compartment in the pommel of an otherwise innocuous dagger. The dagger’s pommel must be unscrewed to extract the key. Only perceptive PCs will likely notice the hidden key.
- This key’s barrel is pitted and scarred as if it had been splattered with acid. It is exceedingly delicate because of this damage; if used roughly, if will likely snap off in the lock.
- Large and ornate, this black, cast iron key is almost a foot long and weighs 4 lbs.
- This large iron key holds a clever secret–a smaller key hidden in its stem. It is accessed by unscrewing the larger key’s bow. Typically, the larger key does not fit any lock in the dungeon.
- The bit of this barrel’s key is worn as if by much use. The lock it fits is similarly ancient.
- The bow of this cast iron six-inch long key has been forged to look like a skull complete with eyes sockets and teeth. The stem of the key looks disturbingly like a spinal column…
- Of brass, this key is still shiny and new; it has practically no signs of use upon its teeth, but someone has scratched “TC 1” into its bow.
- This key is so large—almost two-foot long—surely it is only ceremonial in nature; the lock required to fit this monstrous key would be huge in the extreme. It weighs almost 10 lbs. and could be used as a bludgeoning weapon in a pinch.
- Crafted of multi-faceted, magically hardened glass, this key reflects light in strange many-hued patterns. Crafted to bypass a magical ward of fiendish resilience and complexity it opens the warded area by casting its shadow on the door in a certain location.
- All That Glimmers: Packed with loads of unique treasures ready for your campaign, All That Glimmers is an essential part of a GM’s tool kit!
If you’d like to support Raging Swan Press, please join our Patreon campaign. Pledge what you want. Cancel when you want. Get cheap books. Even a $1 pledge is epic and helps us pay our freelancers a decent rate!
Subscribe & Save