One-dimensional, unremarkable treasure is boring. Adding interesting descriptions to treasure adds depth, detail and verisimilitude to the GM’s campaign.
Of course, a GM doesn’t have time to slavishly detail every piece of treasure in his campaign. That’s where the list below comes in handy.
The GM can use these descriptions to bring to life the weapon wrenched from the corpse of a defeated foe, as the basis for a magic weapon or even to depict a PC’s treasured heirloom possession. However they are used, the descriptions below are inherently more interesting that, “It’s a mace.”
Use the table below, to determine the mace’s appearance:
- Set upon a haft of stout oak, this mace’s oval shaped head is worn smooth on one wide.
- The iron pear-shaped head of this mace glistens as if it were wet. A leather loop is threaded through the weapon’s haft to make it harder to drop.
- Small holes are bored through the mace’s spherical head. When the mace is swung vigourously, the holes create a high-pitched whistling sound.
- This mace has a haft of iron and a small square pommel.
- The haft of this mace is of dull iron worn smooth through countless hours of use. Similarly the head is dented and chipped suggesting it has seen much combat.
- The head of this mace was forged to depict a snarling demon’s head. Dried blood covers the demon’s face and one of the demon’s horns has snapped off.
- The haft of this mace is engraved with lurid scenes of battle and death. Some of the carvings have been damaged—probably in combat.
- Atop this stout haft sits a grinning iron skull. The skull has been painted white to appear more “real” but the paint is faded and chipped. Thus, the skull has a mottled—almost diseased—look.
- When caught in bright light this mace’s circular head gleams like the sun.
- Mystical symbols—worn smooth by use and age—adorn the head and haft of this ornate flanged mace. The mace has four flanges—on each the mystical symbol for one of the elements appears prominently.
- All That Glimmers: Packed with loads of unique treasures ready for your campaign, All That Glimmers is an essential part of a GM’s tool kit!
If you’d like to support Raging Swan Press, please join our Patreon campaign. Pledge what you want. Cancel when you want. Get cheap books. Even a $1 pledge is epic and helps us pay our freelancers a decent rate!