Creatures of nature and the wilderness, the fey are subtle creatures.
Few creatures have more stories told about them than the fey and explorers plunging deep into the wilderness are almost certain to pierce their domain.
Use the table below, to generate subtle signs for the party to encounter that might indicate fey are about.
- The wind whistles through the trees, creating an eerie almost pipe-like sound. Strangely, the tree’s boughs do not move in the wind.
- The branches of this towering oak are intertwined and twisted–almost as if they’ve been braided. The branches spread far out from the tree and create an area of restful shade (or perhaps meaning gloom).
- Faint snatches of otherworldly pipe music come to the party’s ears on the breeze. It is impossible to accurately determine the direction from whence the music comes, but it is surprisingly pleasing to the ear.
- A multi-coloured light bobs through the trees some distance away. From the movement of the light it looks like whatever is carrying the light is moving (gracefully) through the tree canopy.
- Two goblets and a wine bottle seemingly made of the most delicate and fragile glass sit upon a mossy boulder. If touched by mortal hand, they disintegrate as if composed of nothing more than smoke caught on the breeze.
- Faint, hoofed tracks lead through the undergrowth. Careful examination, reveals the creature was two-legged and walked very lightly. The tracks disappear at the base of a large tree.
- A faint scent hangs in the air. Reminiscent of lilacs in bloom it brings visions of bucolic summer days into the minds of those smelling it.
- Incongruously, a stand of wild roses grows dense and thick in a clearing in the forest. Huge blooms cause the plant’s stems to droop toward the ground and their heady scent fills the air. Unskilled PCs may think the roses natural, but those skilled in nature lore can determine the whole clearing has been carefully cultivated.
- Carven wooden wind chimes hang from the boughs of this huge beech tree. Ornately carved, they’ve been carefully carved to make different sounds when they clack together.
- Glimmering dust of many hues covers the grass growing in this wide, sun-dappled clearing deep in the forest. Small tracks of humanoid creatures criss cross through the dust in a riot of movement. Either a mighty battle or a party took place here!
- GM’s Miscellany: Wilderness Dressing: Crammed with 150 pages of information and charts designed to bring your wilderness adventures alive, Endzeitgeist named this essential part of any GM’s arsenal his number one book of 2014! Available now in both Pathfinder and System Neutral Edition.
If you’d like to support Raging Swan Press, please join our Patreon campaign. Pledge what you want. Cancel when you want. Get cheap books. Even a $1 pledge is epic and helps us pay our freelancers a decent rate!