The villagers work hard during the day and as dusk falls most return to their homes to eat and rest. Others visit the tavern or friends’ houses while courting couples sneak away from their families for some privacy. The feel of a rural farming village at night is much different to that of its daytime.
Use the table below, to add interesting sights and sounds to the PCs’ nighttime exploration of the village.
- A mangy cat emerges from the undergrowth into the soft moonlight holding something in its mouth. It darts across the road and into the shadow of a building.
- From somewhere off in the distance, an owl hoots loudly. A few minutes later, the owl hoots again, but this time from further away. A soft wind blows across the village, rustling the leaves and crops.
- Thick clouds scud across the sky. As they pass in front of the moon, the village is plunged into periods of near darkness.
- Soft laugher emerges from deep shadows clustering about a tree or building. Perceptive PCs—or those with the ability to see in the dark—spot two villagers locked in a passionate embrace. The two are blissfully unaware of the PCs.
- The sounds of drinking, laughter and revelry emerge from the village tavern. Outside the tavern, several people stand about drinking and talking.
- A husband and wife sit outside their house enjoying a quiet conversation and drink. They watch the adventurers as the party passes by. The man gestures at them, says something and the woman laughs softly.
- Rustling at the side of the road presages the appearance of a mongrel dog—perhaps a stray or a farmer’s pet—with a stick in its mouth. It looks at the PCs, drops the stick and wags its tail.
- A fox darts through the village, accompanied by its two pups, looking for prey. It is cautious and avoids any large group of people, but could be coxed out into the open by a druid, ranger or the like.
- A farmer carrying a partially shuttered lantern hurries through the village to his field. The man is absent-minded and left a valuable tool—a hoe—there when he finished work. He is worried someone has stolen the hoe and is barely civil to the PCs if they engage him in conversation.
- Field mice nose about among the weeds and grass growing between buildings in search of food. Only perceptive PCs, spot the tiny creatures.
- Two men—one carrying a blazing torch—march through the village. Both are armed with a spear and wear leather armour; the men are in the militia and tonight is their turn to “do the rounds”. They do not expect any trouble—the patrol is a local tradition that stems from bandit attacks long ago.
- A man staggers down the road, singing quietly to himself. He is clearly drunk. As the PCs approach, he totters off in the other direction. Shortly thereafter, the PCs hear a soft thud as he falls over.
For more free content, check out our Free Resources page.