Storied Languard— the capital of Ashlar and its greatest city—stands hard against Hard Bay’s turbulent, stormy waters. To the north lies the Mottled Spire’s brooding spray-drenched mass, the curse-haunted ruins of Greystone and Gloamhold’s doom-wreathed halls. Ashlar’s greatest—indeed only—city, Languard is a noisy, dirty place. Here, amid broad, muddy streets teeming with life and shadow-mantled, danger-filled alleyways there is little beneath the sun that cannot be had somewhere—for a price.
Languard Locations: High City presents ten additional locations designed for use with City Backdrop: Languard. While the locales within are designed with Languard in mind, they are easily convertible for use in your campaign. This instalment deals with locations in High City.
High City Locations
- G2River Gate1: These two towers oversee all river traffic.
- G4 Duke’s Gate1: The least-used of Languard’s gates. Only those traveling northwards use this gate.
- H1 Castle Languard1: Family Nenonen’s seat.
- H2 High Market1: Those with a taste for the finer things in life come to High Market.
- H3 Urmas’ House1: The aged sage Urmas—one of Ashlar’s greatest authorities on Gloamhold—dwells here.
- H4 The Dreaming Spires1: Ashlar’s centre of learning, the library here is only matched by that held at the Black Tower.
- H5 Anku Sennra’s Fine Diamonds and Other Gemstones: Offering the finest gemstones, this shop has a surprising link to Low City.
- H6 High Bank: One of the best protected buildings in Languard, here many nobles keep their wealth.
- H7 Miya’s Stables: Stables for the well-to-do visitors to the city who might have “strange” or “atypical” steeds or pets.
- H8Kilpikonna’s Fine Baked Goods: This bakery of renown is also where the assassin Ohto Paivanen plies his trade.
- H9 Dragonheart Tavern: A favourite among nobles for its wide and every-changing menu, the Dragonheart is always busy.
- H10 Old Mother Grumm’s: Here can be found for sale tasty pastries of all descriptions…and magical potions.
- H11 Needle’s Poise: The finely tailored clothes on offer here are the best in Languard.
- H12 The Emerald Medusa: A popular eatery and festhall, the Emerald Medusa was once the Medusa—a caravel now permanently moored in Languard.
- H13 Pharran’s Shroud: This high-end brothel, is famed for the decadent—and expensive—pleasures on offer within.
- H14 The Ruby Plate: This open-air eatery is famed for its weird, but not always wonderful, food.
- T2 The Father’s Hall1: A cathedral dedicated to Conn’s worship and the centre of his faith in Ashlar.
- T3 The Great Forge1: A clamour of noise and smoke perpetually rises above Abarin’s temple-forge.
- T4 Watcher’s Spire1: A fortified temple dedicated to Darlen.
SeeCity Backdrop: Languard.
1: See City Backdrop: Languard, for more information.
Praise for Languard Locations: High City
“In short, the High City of Languard is a great place to dive into some serious intrigue, to rub shoulders with the rich and powerful, and to shake your head at the decadence of the aristocracy. A great and unique region, this retains the exceedingly high standard of the series.”
–Endzeitgeist (five stars + seal of approval)
Sign up for Raging Swan’s Patreon campaign by 12 July and get all three versions of Languard Locations: High City for only $2!
Released 16 July 2018; Pages 12
Released 6 July 2018; Pages 12
Released 6 July 2018; Pages 12