Many things can be found stored, hidden or forgotten in a mine cart deep within an abandoned and/or haunted mine.
Use the table below, to determine what the PCs find:
- Rocks fill this cart.
- Half full of rocks, water dripping down from the ceiling has filled the balance of the cart.
- This cart is empty, but for a pair of pickaxes.
- The white bones of a dead miner clad in dusty, torn clothes lies in the bottom of this mine cart.
- A half-dozen sturdy piece of lumber—pit props—stick out of this cart, nearly touching the ceiling.
- Filled with a mix of mining equipment, this cart contains two small lanterns, four flasks of oil and a broken pick.
- A huge slab of rock fills this cart; the miners discovered a small silver deposit in the rock, but this lies in the rock’s underside and isn’t visible unless the rock is tipped out of the cart.
- The traces for a pit pony are still attached to this cart, but of the pony there is no sign.
- Gravel fills this cart, to the brim.
- A fine lair of cobwebs cling to the wheels of this cart, indicating it has not moved for quite some time.
- A smear of dried blood coats the front of this cart.
- The white rock filling this cart is of a different type to that found in most of the mine; the deposit from whence it came lies far away.
- A tarpaulin covers this cart. Within, lie mouldering food stuffs as well as a supply of torches and candles.
- As #13, but water dripping from above has rendered the torches and candles useless until dried.
- A large bag of nails, along with various lengths of thick wood fill this cart. Atop the wood, lie several large hammers.
- Used as a bin, this cart holds a dozen or so broken picks, shovels and so on.
- A precarious pile of rocks fills this cart; if the cart is moved some tumble out with a loud clatter.
- This rusty cart lies on its side; the bottom falls out if any appreciable weight is placed inside.
- This upside down cart is missing one of its wheels.
- A bizarre mishmash of bones fills this cart; they don’t seem to have come from a humanoid.
This article appears in 20 Things #5: Subterranean Mine, which is available in August 2016.
For more free content, check out our Free Resources page.
If you’d like to support Raging Swan Press, please join our Patreon campaign. Pledge what you want. Cancel when you want. Get cheap books. Even a $1 pledge is epic and helps us pay our freelancers a decent rate!
Subscribe & Save