A hard people live in the village of Macrimei, nestled between desolate, windswept hills. Its people raise shaggy ponies and large hunting dogs. Dung fires warm the homes built from the ruins of an ancient city buried deep below whose remnants can be seen in the tumbled stones scattered about and the large red obelisk looming over the village square. Said to be home to Macrimei’s god, the Red Obelisk has attracted the attentions of a band of raiders and an evil wizard, who dwells in a mysterious black tower, seeking to claim the secrets buried beneath Macrimei for their own. Now, the villagers of Macrimei live in a sullen fear as the raiders capture people from the surrounding area to excavate a large pit into the ruins below.
Most of the village comprises peasant homes. A few locations, however, are of interest to adventurers:
- Red Obelisk: The red obelisk is said to be Soryan’s home.
- Anazturex’s Tower: This tall, slender tower appears to be fashioned from a mysterious black metal.
- Excavation Site: Slaves work on creaking scaffolding, digging ever deeper into the ruins below.
- Sons of Soryan: The Sons of Soryan maintain control from their base which features a fighting pit.
- Kulway’s House: The former priest plots against the Sons of Soryan and the reclamation of Macrimei.
- Darlaria’s Place: Here, Darlaria sells an assorted number of unusual items, mostly to visitors.
- The Bloodied Pony: A ramshackle affair of stones and cloth forms Macrimei’s one drinking establishment.
- Britha’s Farm: Britha breeds and trains both native dogs and ponies from her small farm.
Most of the population are nothing more than hardworking peasants. A few, however, are of interest to adventurers:
- Anazturex (location 2; N male android conjurer 11) An outsider, Anazturex seeks his lifemate buried deep below Macrimei, and willing enslaves the villagers to achieve him goal.
- Britha (location 8; N female human druid 3/ranger 3) As the top pony and dog breeder, Britha commands the respect of the entire village and is looked to for guidance and leadership.
- Darlaria Elowee (location 6; CN female half-elf sorcerer 5) Darlaria scavenges the ruins for strange artefacts to sell.
- Grul (location 4; NE male human barbarian 5/ranger 4) The brutal Grul leads the Sons of Soryan and enforces Anazturex’s will with unprecedented brutality.
- Hedde (location 7; N female human rogue 4) Hedde serves as a go between for the Sons of Soryan and those wishing to deal with them. She is a keeper and seller of secrets.
- Kulway (location 5; N male human adept 6) Kulway served as the village priest until deposed by the Sons of Soryan.
- Menetethis (location 5; CG young male variant adamantine golem) This child-sized, intelligent golem, secretly wandered into Macrimei from one of the nearby ruins.
Praise for Village Backdrop: Macrimei
“This is a place through which Red Sonja, Kull or Conan could have ridden – so saddle up, adventurers and get a taste of the taste of iron and spice, of dust and lotus and check out this village. If you even remotely like the genre, you will love this village…”
–Endzeitgeist (five stars plus seal of approval)
A Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible GM’s Resource by John Bennett
Released 8 August 2016; Pages 10
Download a Free Sample VB_Macrimei_sample
Download the Maps Macrimei Maps